Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday fun-day or not?

Do you leap out of bed on a Monday morning excited to begin a whole new week of work, pregnant with possibility, adventure and curiosity?

No, me neither...so why is that?

My idea of loving work isn't the big fairytale, hugely romanticized version; instead I see it more like the the relationships we have with people we love. We don't always like them, we don't always agree with them, sometimes we'd like to beat them over the head with a big stick, but we know that these relationships provide perspectives that are different from our ours, they develop us in ways we couldn't do on our own and they challenge us to examine who we are and what we want. This is what I mean by loving work.

I don't know about you, but with me I often notice just how much I love people when I'm away from them or have been separated from them for a long period of time, perhaps there's something to be said for distance and absence making the heart grow fonder.

I think this distance can affect our opinion of our work too - when you get up on the balcony and take the big picture view of your work does it positively contribute or negatively impact your life?

Today I didn't leap out of bed and my day definitely had its challenges but looking back on the day I helped facilitate some great work, laughed till I snorted with a colleague who chose to conduct a  meeting "in the voices of" Count Dracula, a hillbilly and a latin lover, and I was encouraged and supported along the way.

Yep. Monday was a fun-day after all :-)

2 comments:

  1. smashing, and insightful. and "inciteful," too. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tove -I LOVE those sights/cites!!
    x

    ReplyDelete